Barley's Brewing Company
1991 scene on High Street looking west between Spruce & Vine. The center building
would become Barley's Brewing Company
On Thursday, November 1, 2012 we were proud to celebrate our 20th anniversary. As is customary, we tapped the first Christmas Ale of the season at the party. Our friend Frankie Hejduk from the Columbus Crew was our guest tapper and The Drowsy Lads performed live. It was a most excellent celebration.
We had a couple of neat twists. First, the firkin was an oaked, dry hopped and infused with vanilla. The other treat was the Barley's Underground VIP party. 40 lucky Facebook fans got the chance at tickets. In grand fashion we drank, and ate and rubbed elbows with some of our favorite people. Thanks to everyone, including you, who's helped make Barley's the great brewpub that it is today.
We've seen a lot of celebrities over the years, including:
- Jeff Smith, the "Frugal Gourmet"
- Cheap Trick, before a concert at Polaris Ampitheater
- Mayor Greg Lashutka taps Barley's Christmas Ale. 1993, 1994, 1995
- James Doohan, Star Trek's "Scotty"
- Stephen King, on his motorcycle book tour
- Michael Jackson, influential British beer and whiskey writer, visits us while doing research on his book, Michael Jackson's Beer Companion (1997). He goes on to write about the uniqueness of MacLenny's Scottish Ale, employing carmelized wort
- Eddie George, with his mother
- various members of the Columbus Blue Jackets
- Coach Earl Bruce, as master of ceremonies and guest Christmas Ale tapper, at one of our anniversary parties. 1996
- Frankie Hejduk, Columbus Crew captain, taps Barley's Christmas Ale. 2010, 2012
- Jeni Britton Bauer, founder of Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams, taps Barley's Christmas Ale. 2011
- Will Wheaton, star of Star Trek: The Next Generation, dined at Barley's. He called the next day to ask if he could dine with us again that evening. He did. 2012